| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
13 members (Oswald, Gdads51, Jon G, Southerntruck, HandyAndy, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny, 3B, Gray_Ghost, Peggy M, 3800GUY, 2 invisible),
126
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,103 Posts1,056,183 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,492 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,492 | I ought to mention this...when you shorten the throw of the shift rod, you have to raise the pivot point with a spacer. There are two spacers out there. One is 1 inch and the other is 1.25 inch high. Higher means shorter, naturally but those spacers are what move the top of the shift point up and closer to your floor plate. Nothing to worry about but you might want to take a measurement. That's why I ended up cutting a rectangular piece out...a round cut never would have worked for me. If you don't raise the pivot point and you use a shifter that mimics the old 4 speed one, the throw could make it difficult to have 3 people riding in the cab. The shifter I used sits 26 inches from the top of the transmission shifter dome (bends at the lower part just like the 4 speed did) and the travel from first to second or third to fourth is 9 inches. That is as short as I was able to make it with the knob at that particular height. As I recall I could have picked up another inch or so by shortening the rod down to around 24 inches, but the trade-off wasn't what I considered good.
Also...important...if you modify the shifter of the T5 to accept a shifter like I used, you have to cut it at an angle or your shifter will sit all weird. You'll figure that out when you get to that point. Just be careful. I had to make some angled spacers because the angle I used wasn't quite what it should have been.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | |
| |
| |