Originally posted by asilverblazer:
Why that one? What kind of cost are we talking about to get either one of these engines into a big bolt, say a '55 4400...
Why what one, the 3.9 liter 4BT, or the Detroit 4-53T?
The cost to do it right negates the fuel savings unless you use the truck all the time, and then it is a stretch.
The 4BT engines can be had used for less than 2000, and new for just over 5000.
The Detroit I used can be found used for similar prices, and rebuilt professionally for a little more than the new cummins. It will require some cab modification to fit an AD truck.
The added cost are the OD transmission, faster gears for the rear axle, power steering, and better brakes. While these are not required, they make a truck many times more useful.
As far as total cost, $10-20,000 in parts. I have my truck complete to a rolling chassis with engine, transmission and axles installed in a powder coated frame, as it sits now I have over $10,000 in just parts, and countless hours.
Grigg