I've been thinking about this. I don't know why.

Years and years ago (sometime in the late 80's or in the 90's) I thought I saw something like this. I thought I saw an article in Truckin' Magazine about someone putting a 4 cylinder (4BT series) into a GM panal or 'Berb.

I tried to search about Cummins and big Bolts, but not much came up. Sounds like some put it into 1 tons.

I 'thought' I saw someone selling a 4BT set up to take a GM Turbo 400 tranny on Ebay last week. I thought book marked it, but I must not have. I think they were running engines out of a bread truck or something. The price wasn't all that bad from what I recall.....

So, what does this sound like:

*Cummins 4BT (hopped up for more power)
*GM Turbo 400 set up w/ parking brake at then end of tranny
*GV Under/Over unit

Yes, lots of money into it for the engine & drive train.

I'm just 'planning' as of now. I don't even have a truck to put it into yet. eek Kind of want to find out that has no engine/tranny. That way I could just drop everything in to it. Granted, I'm not sure how to work the two speed rear end into the equation to get the spedo to work right.

Comments, suggestions, sources, words of advice/caution.... :confused:


1948 Dodge 2 ton
1950 GMC 1 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 3/4 ton