For an older working truck the best frame is the one it came with.
If you have a small truck and only want to use it as a car then perhaps an S10 is a good fit, but for real trucks I think a real frame is best.

If you plan to use it to haul one of your other trucks you don't need to do anything to it except get it running and stopping, the rest is built for the job.

If you would like better brakes, and the option of more rear gear choices check my picture link below.

The only upgrade I can think of that may help the actual suspension would be a sway bar. I will try to put one or two on my truck before I am done, but have not started that project yet. I do have a sway bar from a 94 Chevy TopKick 4500 that I think may work for the front, or for sure the rear. Whatever I end up using It will be from a full sized pickup or a medium duty truck. I'll keep y'all informed when I start on the sway bar.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-