Well I learned something on my truck this week. It is a 59 235 that is in my 47 3600. When I rebuilt the engine I was very careful with everything I did except that I used the same valve train rockers that came off this engine. I did notice that the coupling between the rocker shafts had an overflow tube going down to the head. I pinched it off. I have had the truck running for about 500 miles and was getting some oil puffs at stop lights and when starting it hot. I have overhauled many engines over the years and never have had this happen. I suspected that I had the old style low pressure rockers like on a 216 or older 235. I had investigated the difference in the earlier and later high pressure rockers so I purchased a set from T Langdon and switched it out on Tuesday this week. I was correct in my suspicion of the wrong rockers that were on my 59 235 originally. After I installed the new rockers on my engine, I don’t see any smoke whatsoever! I believe I was getting too much oil in my valve train and even though my head has new guides, valves, springs, valve seals (on the intake valves), and it was planed and maga-fluxed for cracks. The later 235’s have a 11/32 oil passage going to the head instead of a 1/16 inch orfice and have the groove in the rockers in-line with the hole, it must have been quite the oil sprinkler under the valve cover. It was very oily and looked like it was over oiled. After installing the new rockers that have the offset oil groove not inline with the oil hole, I ran the engine with the valve cover off. It just oozes oil out each hole not spraying out. I have ran the truck several days now and no more puffs of oil at stop lights or starting it up hot. I so glad I was able to get the right rockers for my 59 235. NO MORE SMOKE.

Last edited by lumbersawyer; 10/01/2023 1:44 AM.

1947 3600 Chevy