Hi everyone, still working on my 59 Apache. Got it to it's first car show and back without any issues buuut then I took it out the next day. Made it a ways down the road just fine but idle started getting real slow and rough and stopped on me twice. Took it back out about a half hour later, made it about a mile and engine dropped idle, lost all acceleration, then died and would not restart. Waited 20 minutes, started up, drove it another mile and same thing. First thing I checked was timing, then carb. All good. Doing several tests I found that when the engine first starts the generator puts out the needed 14v. After a few minutes it gets tired, drops down to 10-12. This is when the rough idle and power loss start. I pull out choke to get rpms back up but generator output remains low. Battery is at about a full charge though so not sure why idle would be affected as I thought the battery should run the ignition when generator is slacking. Checked power to the coil. When generator is putting out needed voltage coil is getting typical 9v. Here's the weird thing though. When generator starts dropping volts and rough idle starts, power to the coil shoots up to 11.5 v. Don't know why this happens or if it would cause the rough idle and power loss. Obviously I need the gerlnerator rebuilt, but trying to figure out if I need to replace voltage regulator and or ignition coil too. Any thoughts welcome!
Attachments
20230923_203143.jpg (163.26 KB, 117 downloads)


"It's-a me!" -Mario