I have a 54‘ Chevy 3100 that I’m restoring. Also switching to a SBC. I needed a new radiator so I purchased a Champion 3 row as a direct replacement. Everything I saw online looked like this was a direct replacement to the original radiator. My issue is that that cross bracing on the core support is not allowing the radiator flanges to sit flat as they should. The top set of holes is fine. Middle I’m about 3/16“ out and then the bottom is almost 3/8“ out. Has anyone else run across this and if so what did you do to correct? I bought the radiator a couple of years ago so there’s no returning it. The new radiator is about 1/2“ thicker than the original. But it seems like Champion would’ve accounted for that and welded the flanges on correctly to compensate. I’m not an aluminum welder so anything like that I’d have to find someone to do.
My thoughts are either remove the cross bracing on the core and weld them possibly on the back of where they are now. Or I could just shim out at each location. I thought about a 3/8“ piece of bar stock between the radiator flange and core but that would push the top a ways out and not look as clean. I’m open to thoughts and suggestions.
Also I’m planning on running an electric fan and shroud. Right now the shroud I have measures 1 1/4“ from where I mount the electric fan to the fins on the radiator. Anyone have any thoughts on a minimum distance a fan shroud should be compared to the radiator? I know I could mount the fan directly to the radiator but I like the idea of the shroud. Just want to make sure it’s actually helping me and I’m not doing something to decrease the effectiveness of it. Thanks for any thoughts or comments.