Danny,
See the screenshot below taken from one of the Chevrolet Master Parts Catalogs that give a cut-away view of the engine with flywheel and associated parts installed.
If you zoom in you can see that the alignment pins for the flywheel to crankshaft (shows pin at top and bolt at bottom) don't seem to have a lot of room when pushed into the crankshaft holes. Those holes go all the way through the crankshaft and if the pin is pushed in far enough, could contact the rear main bearing block casting and/or cap and may cause damage when you turn-over/run the engine.
Have you tried to spin you engine over by hand to see if there is any interference???
From what I see in this picture, I think the only way to resolve that is to remove the oil pan and see if you can pry the pins back outward on the crankshaft. Of course you will have to remove the flywheel to allow them to move back outward in the crankshaft.
Jerry (Hot Rod Lincoln) will know the answer to your question with eyes closed. Hoping he will chime in with some words of wisdom as mine isn't from hands on experience.
Dan
Thanks, Dan,
Yes, I removed all the spark plugs and the engine turns very easily by hand. The inverted dowels don’t seem to be making contact anywhere, I’m just not sure if it is OK to finish the install and leave it like this. I don’t know if the dowel pins serve any other purpose other than alignment or if it could throw off the balance in any way.
Danny