Moral of the story.
Make sure that your machine shop knows their stuff about these old engines, or are able and willing to do the research.
In order for you to determine if THEY know their stuff about these engines, YOU need to know your stuff so that you can ask the right questions.
I did not ask the right questions and it cost me $1800 for a second rebuild caused by a broken connecting rod, likely caused by too much compression from the machine shop not knowing what the specs are on the head thickness of a 235.
The second rebuild lasted 3,000 miles before the valves were cooked by overheating in the combustion chamber from too much compression and absence of a quench trench. I am lucky that I did not break another connecting rod before I pulled the head looking for why I had a bad miss on the #1 cylinder.