Lots of possible explanations here. Post COVID, we have experienced supply chain problems that probably pale compared to what post-WWII was like. We also know that trucks from one GM plant may not be exactly the same from another (i.e. discussions about the proper color of the engine). So I can accept that this may have been a factory build. But, as Dave says, I am still curious...

46 Texaco, please clarify my observation that the carriage bolt washers do not appear to be recessed. In order to torque the bolts, which are responsible for holding the bed to the frame, the washers cannot be allowed to spin. That is why the holes for the carriage bolt in the washer recess are offset . If they are indeed, not recessed, I have trouble accepting that the factory would release trucks with the beds loose on the frame. If they are recessed properly, then the story is plausible.
Kent

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; 07/26/2023 6:16 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix