Since there have been recent requests for how I built the cab Rotisserie for my '51 3100, I thought I'd collect the info and share it here (potentially a tech tip?)

Background: Since I needed to do some extensive repair work on my cab, I determined that a rotisserie would help with the work and save my back as well. I selected the pivot points across the cab instead of the typical longitudinal pivots on commercially available rotisseries, as my floor needed considerable work, and the undercarriage type mounting of commercial rotisseries would be in the way of that.

I did some research, using the cab dimensions sheet in the Factory Assembly Manual and figured I could build some brackets that bolt on to the door pillars using the hinge and striker bolt points. I fabricated the brackets after I had removed the doors and bolted them in place prior to removing the cab. I also bought two engine stands and modified them to increase the height (so the cab could spin a full 360 degrees) and remove the angle of the pivot generally installed on engine stands. I got them for $50 each, a smoking deal shipped to Alaska. They were designed with 2" square tubing as the lower runner between the wheel sets, so I bought a length of square tubing to use between the two uprights, making the width adjustable. I also bought some 2" x 3" rectangular tubing for extending the uprights. The brackets for attaching the engine stands to the cab were built out of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle iron and provide some bracing of the cab when in place.

I scanned FAM Section 1, Sheet 1.07 and imported it into CAD, adjusted it so the dimensions were correct and inserted a circle to determine the center of rotation for the rotisserie.

Attached are photos of the process, including some dimensional information.
Attachments
AD CAB DIMENSIONS.JPG (348.36 KB, 220 downloads)
FAM Section 1 Sheet 1.07 with notes
SKETCH OF ROTISSERIE BRACKETS.JPG (374.5 KB, 220 downloads)
Sketch of cab rotisserie brackets to fit in door opening.
IMG_0354.JPG (267.03 KB, 216 downloads)
ROTISSERIE WITH EXTENDED UPRIGHTS
IMG_0355.JPG (270.99 KB, 217 downloads)
WIDENED STANCE OF ENGINE STAND WITH SWIVEL CASTERS
IMG_0813.JPG (448.81 KB, 214 downloads)
ROTISSERIE BRACKETS FABBED FOR MOUNTING ON HINGE ATTACHMENTS
IMG_0893.JPG (185.98 KB, 213 downloads)
FITTING BRACKET TO CAB
IMG_0895.JPG (449.33 KB, 213 downloads)
COMPLETED CAB BRACKET
IMG_0897.JPG (236.08 KB, 215 downloads)
BRACKET MOUNTED TO CAB WITH ENGINE STAND PIVOT ATTACHED
IMG_0902.JPG (153.49 KB, 213 downloads)
DETAIL OF STRIKER MOUNTING
IMG_0899.JPG (208 KB, 214 downloads)
HINGE PILLAR MOUNTING DETAIL - NOTE ANGLE OF HORIZONTAL MOUNTS


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.