I just went through this a couple weeks ago on my '50. I just haven't gotten around to posting pics and descriptions.

It was a PITA but I finally figured it out and the truck stops perfectly.

Yes. Equal length shoes all the way around.

Before releasing tension of the shoes on the wheel cylinder, tie up the wheel cylinder with zip ties or wire to keep the pistons compressed and in their bores. If you don't they'll pop apart.

I used a large Channel Lock pliers to compress the springs. BE CAREFUL!!!

That spring will go flying through your garage and possibly land on the moon. Fortunately when mine took off it landed under another vehicle 40 feet away without doing any damage.

The locks on the spring will probably be destroyed in removal. Use horseshoe clips when reinstalling them.

For the big ones, I used 5/8" E clips. They are much easier and make a more positive lock in my opinion.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)