Hey all. My wife's stepdad is giving her his '46 2 ton. He just asked her to come get it at the end of spring. We have known she would be getting this truck for many years, but didn't realize we would be getting it this soon so we have not spent any time yet learning about the truck or coming up with a plan for it. I saw it years ago, but don't remember much about it. I do know that he used to be a farrier and had used it for that business. Knowing him, he took great care of it while he was using it, but it has not been used for quite a while. I'm guessing he kept it very close to stock. It has been outside, but it is in a fairly dry climate. Really all I know about it at this time is that has a 12' flat bed and is black with yellow pinstripe. He also said he has a ton of new in box stuff for it that we will be getting. We will need to trailer it about 800 miles.
We are both excited to get it back on the road, but like I said, we aren't sure which direction we will take it. We are kind of torn between a basic resto or something more complicated. The idea of keeping it as close to original as possible is attractive, but making it more useful in a modern context has its merits, too. I haven't owned a two wheel drive vehicle since high school, so naturally I am curious about 4wd conversions. We live in the mountains of North Idaho, so 4wd is kind of important, but we just don't know enough about these big old trucks yet to say we want to commit to a conversion or how needed it is. We've had a '73 Blazer and a '78 Ford stepside years ago, so this will be by far the oldest vehicle we've owned (aside from an old Willys that we never did anything with). Definitely will be the first vehicle we've had were you can't just run down to the parts store for most needs. We aren't going to have a ton of budget for it, and I haven't done much more than standard truck maintenance and bolt on mods, but I love teaching myself how to do things and have actually been craving something old to wrench on lately.
In terms of forum etiquette, would it be appropriate to start a thread about the project and post all the various questions we have there, or make individual posts in the proper sub forums?
Last edited by Peggy M; 05/11/2023 11:06 PM.