Originally Posted by 1Ton_tommy
I used the factory PCV setup on my 261, which uses the stand-pipe Jerry mentioned.

Yes, it makes much more sense, than the PCV conversion I see a lot, where they just pull out the draft tube completely, stick a PCV valve in that hole and call it a day (and than wondering why the valve is full of oil).

The gases evaporating from your oil tend to go upwards - so sucking it out at the highest point ( i.e. valve cover) seems to be a good idea in my book.
I mean - did you ever see a V8 with the PCV that goes down in the crank case?
They are all at the valve cover - I guess the GM engineers knew what they where doing.

I left the oil filler tube portion of my downdraft tube in place (just cutting the actual downdraft part and welding it shut - so it's just a oil filler tube now), also I put a filtered breather cap on it.
So I got circulation from the crankcase to the valve cover, and not vice versa - like a lot of folks do for some reason.

Frank

Last edited by Stovebold6; 01/07/2023 10:19 AM.