I picked up a 56 3100 which was completely stock except for a repaint in the distant past. I had the same safety concern about being able to stop vs slow-down-real-fast and installed power front disc brakes from CPP. The kit description said it would “bolt on” same as original, but I’m thankful I didn’t attempt to install it at the curb. Fortunately, I had access to a shop as there were a few things which had to be machined and massaged to fit and work properly.
Since that time I saw a post saying properly adjusted drum brakes were just as effective with just the booster and dual master cylinder. I really like the disc brakes, but In retrospect, I wonder if I wouldn’t have been just as happy with the power drum set up. A little less expense and trouble and it would have preserved more of the stock aspect which is desirable to me.