Trying to decide if I have a problem or not in my 235. Seems to be running a touch hot IMO. It is a recent rebuild bored .080, otherwise I would consider it pretty much a stock setup (new rings, pistons, lifters, rods and oil pump). It runs about 185-195 degrees at the temp sender (checking with a laser pointer thermometer) after idling in the driveway for 25 minutes on a ~50 degree day after swapping the stock radiator to an aluminum one. Before radiator swap I was getting up around 212 degrees after about 15-20 minutes. I have been through EVERYTHING multiple times except for pulling the head back off to make sure no ports were clogged. I even went as far as filling old radiator and block w/ evapo rust, pulling water pump and block drain and going to town with a water hose and compressed air to flush everything multiple times. I am running a 160 deg t-stat w/ an 1/8th in hole drilled in it.

Note: this is in my '50 3100. I have used the 235 guy's water pump adapter plate to relocate center of the radiator. The fan blades are 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away from the radiator.


Jason

Working on my first restomod on a 1950 3100 Shortbed (235 engine, 3 on the tree, disc brakes, etc.)

1950 Chevy 3100