I had to replace the engine in my 1953 GMC 3 ton with a '66 292 from a bus. The original radiator had some plugged passages in spite of several flushes, so I rigged a second radiator in front. At first it worked fine, but it eventually started getting hot again. Turned out, the plastic fan I attached to the engine(metal one was too big) made the bolts go loose and therefore, the belt loose and stopping the pump. I had already ordered a new radiator, so I put that in. Removed the plastic fan, since I had added a dual electric fan from a truck. Though it was a 3 row and not the 4 I wanted, I wasn't going to be hauling at it's max capacity.

It was still getting too hot.

Recently I added back in the second radiator. While I was at it, I checked the timing. Good thing as it was off. (Advanced? Don't remember, looking from the front as you would for timing, it was to your far left.) I gave it another flushing as I noticed there was still rust flakes in it, despite a previous flush. Let it sit over night with rad flush, vinegar, and rust remover. Then I connected the garden hose to the rad, then the block at separate times. Let the water run for a while. After, I also added that 'water wetter' stuff. While testing, it got up to operating temp and seemed to stay there. Then I gave it a little gas and kept it there. Seemed to slowly creep up, so I didn't risk a test drive. During a previous drive, it seemed to go up slightly faster while accelerating. Makes sense, 'under load'. Though, the pump should be running faster then. After installing the second rad, I looked in it and the water was flowing, showing the pump works.

All I can think of is the fan isn't up tight enough to the rads, or that little plastic fan that was on the engine somehow made a difference? Also, I don't remember if I replaced the temp sensor when I installed the universal temp gauge. The rads never boiled over when it said it was as high as 240.
The engine runs and works great.

What do you think?


Alexander's Automotive Assortment
  • 1953 GMC 9700 3-ton**
  • 1978 Plymouth Arrow
  • 1980 Jeep J10 Cargo Truck
  • 1985 Red Wagon Trailer (for cars)
  • 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4wd

**(9700 in Canada or 450 in USA.)