I guess that lowboy wasn't LOW enough. Would have hated to be that driver. And in the article, it asked "how fast would he have to be driving"; couldn't have been all that fast!! Those excavators aren't very light and did you catch the tractor that was pulling it?
Stewart -- I didn't see the tractor in any of the pictures ... did you? I bet, at highway speeds, suddenly getting detached from that load probably sent him a good ways down the highway. He might have even ended up in the ditch. Our Case 9030 looks to be nearly the same size and it weighs about 45,000 lbs. The trailer in that accident looks like a newer version of our detachable drop deck. I'm still wondering why they loaded it facing front ways instead of facing backwards like everyone else does. Loaded properly, it might have made it under the bridge. And even if not, the bridge would have only sustained minor damaged because it would have forced the boom/dipper down, rather than catching it and forcing it to do what it did.
?