If you choose to do an in-frame rebuild, be absolutely sure to do a very good cleanup after using a hone or a glaze breaker on the cylinder walls. (Yes, that's necessary). I remember one engine I did a re-ring job on before making a cross country trip from California to Tennessee. It was a flathead six in a 1960 Rambler American. By the time we reached Nashville, I was having to stop and add oil between fill ups of gasoline. When we tore the engine down the oil ring expanders were rubbing the cylinder walls, and the compression rings were worn to less than half their original thickness- - - - -totally worn out in 2500 miles of highway driving! I THOUGHT I had done a good cleanup after honing- - - -WRONG! Use a strong solution of dishwashing liquid and HOT water to scrub the cylinder walls with a stiff bristle brush, followed by multiple rinses with very hot water. Wrap rags around the crankshaft journals to protect them from the wash job. I learned that lesson the hard way!
Jerry