I'm hoping this is the right forum for my question. Since the decision is to repair/reinforce the frame and install an aftermarket IFS crossmember or cut it off and swap in a Camaro sub I think this may be the right place. Some background information is that the cracks in the frame resulted from my brother installing a 455 Pontiac in lieu of the 327 that had been there. I don't know if he or the previous owner welded the angle iron into the frame to make motor mounts. At this point, all I am asking is for input on whether any of you would be comfortable straightening the bends and welding up the cracks and using this frame. I figure boxing the frame would help strengthen it as well. I can weld, but I'm not above calling in a pro where it's critical. Background on me is that I was a Fleet Automotive Mechanic for the National Park Service for more than 30 years. I'm far from a master fabricator. My welds aren't always pretty, but they stick together pretty good! I know that this thread is useless without pictures, so I will attach what I have. Thanks in advance for advise!
Attachments
59 Chevy Apache 032 sm.jpg (47.69 KB, 272 downloads)
59 Chevy Apache 034 sm.jpg (69.31 KB, 269 downloads)
59 Chevy Apache 033 sm.jpg (75.23 KB, 270 downloads)
59 Chevy Apache 039 sm.jpg (79.16 KB, 270 downloads)


Tom
1959 Chevy 31 Apache Short Stepside