Jon, the silly putty is an excellent idea. Sounds like you have put more thought and effort into this than anyone else I know.. you are positively right about the 11/16” weatherstrip- it is impossibly thick and useless. I wonder if there is any point in trying to heat the seal with a low setting on A heat gun and then closing the door? I did start thinking about building a jig to pull the seal through that had a razor to trim it, but after your post I’m not even going to try…

Regarding the T5, I may have to go with taller tires. My restoration isn’t finished- it hasn’t been anywhere but around my neighborhood a few times, so I haven’t driven it on the highway yet. I have a 261 with the Langdon Bulldog cam (Delta Cams), and milled 848 head (milled before I bought it- wish it wasn’t milled).

[Edit] a dual pattern 254/264 that idles well, has plenty of vacuum and pulls well enough from idle (not like a Blue Flame cam, I believe). So far, I am loving this cam, although it’s torque peak is around 3500… thanks for posting about the torque curves- Interesting info about the torque curves and how it dictates drivability with different gearing selections- I’ll have to go back to my notes to see what my first gear ratio is.

[Edit] my 1st gear is 3.68. (12.7 ratio with my rear) OD is 0.72. Tire height is 27.7” and a 3.73 rear

But all this is best left to another thread, I guess..

Last edited by Norcal Dave; 05/19/2022 1:40 PM.

~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission