I see post on air brakes. I have a small IH, with them, half of system was off truck in cab when I got it. It also had dual controls, which I removed now. The air tredal (pedal) was just a plug or two in a junction block to remove one side. I have two tanks, in series. ON last tank was a hose, then water trap (plastic) and more hose. I have the system all up and running, but not sure on water trap. I'm thinking it might be for some added feature that was on back at one time. This was a sweeper truck, and had air controls I took out of cab for the brushes, which were all gone, and an engine was on back one time to run all this. I can get pressure and brakes with system as is if I close off that last hose off trap. I plumbed it into a tee where rear brake hoses run off, but that only pushes all the brakes on when pressure gets up. SO, I wanna know if this thing is even neccesary or part of orig system or if it may have gone to a third tank for diff function? My current tanks have bleeders for water, manual. I have hose from pump to first tank, hose between tanks and one big metal tube off last tank that goes up front to system. It goes thru system and back to rear at tee for brake hoses, and same for front wheels. These brakes do not appear to have the modern spring pressure to keep on when parked, or no pressure. I pulled truck home as it was setting. I have an auto trans and cable parking brake on back of it. There is no trailer controls or added system. This seems like much simpler system than I can find a drawing for in most brake mans and parts books I have now. Modern trucks have "back-ups", trailer locks, emergency, and parking features that mine does not have. I'm thinking of just removing the hoses and water filter off the last tank and plugging line at tank. I was told if no air flows thru the filter, no action takes place. With plug at end of hoses as now, no flow takes place. AND, being plastic, if it got hit with stone or such accident, I would loose pressure and brakes while driving, another hazard maybe.
So, what you guys think, take it off? Was it for something else?
I only have a parts book, no shop manual for this IH. This is a B1710 Cargo Star tilt cab, short wheelbase, 345 gas, Allison trans, power steering. I think it will make a nice driving truck once I get brakes fixed correctly. As noted, I have brakes now, haven't taken out to test yet. Think I need more pressure from my slow pump. I put on new governor, but seems slow to get pressure up, and drops quite a bit in use, in garage testing. I need to get the pump belt much tighter first thing, it is pretty floppy. I'm hoping that is all.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors