| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Phak1, Gdads51, Youngin' Tut 59, Greg_H, carbking, Wayne67vert, 1 invisible),
99
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,137 Posts1,056,430 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2017 Posts: 44 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2017 Posts: 44 | I have done some basic cleaning and upkeep on my 1960 C10 that had been sitting for an unknown number of years and got it to start up and run yesterday. It has the original 235 straight six motor. When I 1st got the truck home I found some loose parts under the valve cover. One of the rocker arm adjuster screws was loose under there and one of the valve spring retainers was gone. There was an extra head in the cab with all the valves and springs but no rocker arm assembly. I don't know why the head was in there but maybe the previous owner knew they needed a new head for parts or some other reason.
Things that I've done so far replaced the points and serviced the distributor rebuilt (single barrel Rochester B carb cleaned out rocker arm assembly and replaced middle oil connector (old one was broken) replaced valve spring retainer new plugs set timing (was pretty close but not perfect) oil change throttle linkage clean and spring replace (old spring was missing) new fuel pump, filter, and hard line to carb
The engine will start and run but the valve that I replaced the keeper has some play. It and the spring can be moved by hand. I don't want to cause more damage by running the engine with this problem so I am looking for advice on what I should do next. I'd like to use the engine and now that I have verified it will run I am willing to put some money into getting it fixed up. I guess I should pull the head and see what's going on with that valve and address any other issues that become apparent. Is it a waste of time to just pull the head? If there are deeper issues I figure I need to pull the rest of the engine anyway (although I'd like to avoid that if it's not necessary). | | |
| |
| |