I installed the vent window glass and it went really smooth. I think the key is to have the right sized tape. One video I watched on youtube, showed a guy that installs auto glass for a living, how he sizes up the frame and glass for the right sized tape. He placed it on the glass so that only the 1-1/2” width wrapped around the edge of the glass, so you are only pressing in the 1-1/2” width, then attempt to press it in. It should go in with minimum force but fit snug. If it does not press in, go down in size. If it falls in go up in size.
Prior to pressing it in, I installed the vent glass frame in the vent frame and slid the glass in the frame to see the relative position of where the glass needed to end up (rubber seals installed). Mine was hanging out the end of the frame about 1/6”. This way I had a real good idea of where the glass needed to be positioned.
I used black electrical tape to hold the seating tape in position on the glass and cut a vee in the one sharp corner (both sides), so it would bend around nicely. I used a little bit of dish detergent mixed with a splash of water to lubricate.
I was able to press it in mostly by hand and finished it up with a rubber faced mallet. I protected the new.y panted frames with painters tape. Prior to final fitment, I reinstalled the assembly in the frame to check my progress.I cut the excess off with a utility knife with a new blade. A little black silicone to fill a few voids and set it aside to dry. Almost ready to assemble the doors.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum