Bartamos I thank you very much for the recommendations/comments and all the other folks who provided there experiences and comments. The new sending unit arrived
yesterday. I had not signed in since my last message so did not see your message before installing the sending unit. All is well!! The gauge is indicating a bit less than half
full. I filled the new tank with 10 gallons and drove the truck about an hour after so less than half seems reasonable. My truck is a '53 GMC with a hydra matic transmission.
The truck, except for the frame and running gear was totally dis-assembled but I bought it hoping that all the pieces were there, which most were.To re-assemble the truck
I relied on resource's like Stovebolt & internet but mostly the Maintenance Manual for GMC Trucks. I mention this because all new wiring was required. The manual's wiring
schematic specified the ground be on the positive pole. So with all electrical now functioning as expected I would be hesitant to change the ground to positive.

When this all started I had some concern that the fuel gauge was the problem. A few years ago the starter was not engaging which required me to nudge the crank a few
degrees to engage. I entered a post about the pros and cons of converting to 8 volt, the responses were many, probably more cons than pros and some pretty emphatic that
making the change was just a disaster waiting to happen. Well I made the change anyway so wondered if that was my problem. When I ordered the sending unit from Jim
Carter I asked if that might be the problem. Their response was that no it should not be a problem. They had done some research on the subject and found that in that
time frame a truck could be ordered with an 8 volt battery. Makes my mind a little more at ease but it is no guarantee that something may fail down the road.