| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,271 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#14271 10/28/2003 8:14 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 | I have a '62 235 with hydraulic lifters and a dual Offy/Fenton setup. I noticed that I was getting poor gas mileage, so I did some investigating. I figured that I was running rich since I spewed carbon out of one of the tailpipes when I gunned the engine. I pulled plugs and noticed that they were all covered in carbon, and the back 3 were wet. (The tailpipe that was spewing the carbon was attached to the front 3 cylinders.)
I adjusted the valves to ensure that they had 1 turn after the tapping stopped, and I adjusted the carb to a leaner mix. I took it for a drive, and it was running great. After about 60 miles, I decided to pull plugs again to check them out. They were still covered in carbon, and the back 3 were still wet.
I then checked the compression in one of the back 3 cylinders and one of the front 3. The back cylinder was reading about 75 lbs and the front was reading about 90 lbs. Both way too low. I only had time to fiddle with the front cylinder valves, backing them off 1/4 turn, checking compression, backing off another 1/4 turn, checking again. The compression improved, but not significantly. (The engine was cold by this time)
Now this is a recently rebuilt engine, so I wouldn't guess poor rings. Could the carbon be causing the valves to be unable to close all the way? Should I spray B-12 into the cylinders to clean up the carbon? What else can I try? How did all this sawdust get under the hood? | | | |
Entire Thread
|
Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| tree91 | 10/28/2003 8:14 PM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| Tony M | 10/28/2003 9:04 PM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| tree91 | 10/28/2003 9:25 PM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| 4ontheFloor | 10/28/2003 10:38 PM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| tree91 | 10/28/2003 10:50 PM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| ftyler | 10/28/2003 11:15 PM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| 4ontheFloor | 10/29/2003 1:14 AM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| warren | 10/29/2003 5:03 AM |
Re: Bad mileage, carbon, and poor compression
| tree91 | 10/29/2003 8:14 PM | |
| |
| |