Originally posted by Redcoat 54-6100:
I just put a 292 into a 54 6100 which ought to be essentially the same as yours. The transmission bolted right up to the bell housing without any trouble. I took the motor mount perches out of a donor truck with a torch, used my engine hoist to suspend the engine bolted to the transmission in place, cut the perches to fit and bolted them in. Yes the engine was longer but the PO had previously cut up the radiator brace to put in a 235, so I just bolted everything together. Much better performance and, a big surprise, better gas mileage. I haul 11 or 12 thousand pounds everyday with a considerable amounts of uphill pulling. Great low speed torque. I have a 2 speed rear end I'm going to put in as soon as i get the the control lever for it. Redcoat
Thanks for the knowledge, so do you think that with a 51 -3800 I would have to swap out the rad & mounts- any other conversions?? I came across a decent running 292 and thought maybe it would be better??
However I will be checking to further diagnose my vibration / no start condition. However if i had issues with the harmonic balancer, would it be indictative of larger issues or a minor fix.?
thanks so much for the info.
Battlefordguy