Got her in the garage this morning and pulled the cover off the transmission. Here's what I have. There was very little fluid in the box when I drained it and I'm not sure what kind of fluid was in there. The gears spin freely. The dogs on the cover move from side to side but they won't move back and forth on the rods. I've sprayed everything with some degreaser to clean them up while I go pick up some kerosene to really clean every thing. If the logistical part of my little gray cells are working right the long dog on the far right side of the last photo should be the one that moves the reverse gear.
So my questions are:
1/ should I be able to slide the dogs along the rods in the cover easily? 2/ If I should and I can't should I give them a little tap after soaking them in penetrating oil? 3/ Any else in the gear box look in need of help? 4/ An other guidance is always appreciated 5/ What kind of oil is best to use in this type of transmission?