So, I have a 51 3100 that was a Barn Yard find that I was able to get running fairly easily. Original 216. (can see it in the projects forum) Getting some sticky valves loose, checking compression in the 85-90 range, a carb rebuild, oil change, and it was running on a hot wire and an independent gas can.
I only ran a few times for a few minutes. Worked on the cooling system. Couple of replacement freeze plugs from pin holes, removed/flushed radiator a couple of times, cleaned/lubricated water pump, new gaskets, removed T-stat., removed/soaked/cleaned rocker arm assy's. Moved on to interior and removed the ex. manifold to repair the studs.
Fired back up today, still on hotwired system. Ran for a 2-3 minutes at the most with water, no smoke, no sputtering, or anything. Shut off, check oil. Now milky.
Drained oil, removed lifter cover/v-cover, only showed just a smidge of milky oil at front lifters. No oil at all on rockers.
A few months back, I noticed they weren't getting any oil, and they were caked with plugged with muck. 1st time starting up since I put all that back together. I do know that the hard oil line can cause problems and can become brittle and crack.
So, are my only 2 culprits a blown head gasket, or the oil supply line? Is there a particular area where water can cross to oil at the head gasket?
Thats all I can think of, other than cracked block. Removing plugs(which are new), they checked ok for an old motor, and it never showed any signs of smoke out of the open exhaust manifold.
I left the oil drain plug out and poured some water in the radiator and a little water/oil came out, which again, to me, seems to point to head gasket.