I have a line on a 261 core that I can probably get for very little money. Of course, rebuilding an engine....be it a 235 or a 261....will cost several dollars.

Wondering if those who have run both the 235 and 261 could weigh in with an opinion. From a “seat of the pants” perspective....is the extra displacement of the 261 noticeable on the road? I’m talking about mixed town and highway driving of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup. Not hauling a load of grain to the elevator in your 2 ton.

Here’s my working hypothesis: The road-drivability difference of 235/261 is negligible, perhaps limited by the antiquated transmissions and high numerical rear ends. If a guy wants to rebuild a stovebolt, the extra headache/cost of sourcing some of the 261 specific parts isn’t worth it.

I have little to back that up. Just hunches. Happy to be proven wrong by someone with real-world experience.


1951 3100