I've replaced a couple of rivets on my frame, and have running board brackets and shock mounts to put back on as well. The method I use was to put the rivet in place, heat it cherry red with an O/A torch, then use an air hammer with a riveting attachment to peen the shank over and form a head. The back was bucked with a piece of 1-1/2" dia steel with a recess in it to match the rivet head. One rivet that had sheared off on a cab mount bracket needed a larger rivet, so I fabricated one from a bolt, grinding the hex head to a domed profile typical of the existing rivet heads. For the others, I bought a batch of rivets of the proper size. Got them online. Hanson Rivet is a good source for all kinds of rivets, including tubular ones for sheet metal parts.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.