Well, we made it halfway home! The truck was running "OK" made it up to 43 MPH on the old gravel highway here in Montana. No traffic to deal with. The issue I ran into was my 12v battery just running out of juice. We were also losing daylight, without any lights or signals to speak of it was time to call it a night.
But I've since had a chance to dig into it, and it seems like quite a find indeed. I'm still trying to scrape years of crud off the engine to see what I've got. I'm certain it isn't the original motor. I'll include some pics and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
We found a registration in the sun visor dated 1974. No other paperwork to speak of. Was a mechanical HI/LO original equipment in 47? My 61' bus was vacuum operated I believe, mounted to the rear and operated by a cable on the shifter. There's a ton of "aftermarket" options that were added over years. It has a lift bed and huge cable winch. The lift cylinder is missing, but the PTO hydraulic pump is still in place. It'll take a few posts to get all the pics in. But I'll do my best.
Can't wait to start really getting into it. I have a few other projects to get to but I'm hoping for a teardown this summer.