Originally Posted by 46Sparky
That top spring was an after market add on. My ‘46 had/has them too and some of the other ones my buddies have also had them. They were a type of “overload spring”. My truck served on a farm as a grain truck to haul wheat to the elevator. The rubber bumper that fits in that bracket were available from Steele Rubber, don’t know if they still are. When I priced them they were much more expensive than I was willing to go. Do you plan on carrying extra heavy loads? If not, the original brackets, as shown in the parts manual and photos might be a better option? I ended up making my own rubber bumpers to fit the rectangular brackets as shown in your photo. In hind sight, I would ditch the extra springs and brackets and hunt for the correct, stock brackets, bumpers and “U” bolts. The later can likely be found at a shop that repairs suspensions.


46Sparky are you talking about these?

https://www.steelerubber.com/axle-rebound-pad-70-2301-32