My neighbor didn't know he was supposed to grease the king pins. So eventually the bushings seized to the pins and spun the bushings in the spindle. By the time it got to me you could hardly turn the steering wheel. No way to get grease in. So with nothing to lose I took the drill and made new holes in the bushings. Now it would take grease. So he drove it a while till the kingpins started to rattle and he couldn't keep it going straight and I put new kingbolt set in. It would have been hell to get apart with it all seized up. Of course I had to heat the axle eyes as it was but I didn't have to heat the spindles.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.