Replacing the tires on my '51 6400 Fire Truck has led me, I think, to replacing the wheels. Took the 6 old wheels/Tires to the truck tire shop. The guy looked at the 2-piece rims and immediately started back-peddling, mumbling about suicide rims, and how they're illegal, and his insurance won't pay, blah blah blah. Well, I was hot and bothered already from loading these 6 big muthuhs into my truck, and I was none-too-happy when he said he wouldn't do it.

When I calmed down some, he said he could probably find newer same-size wheels to mount the tires I'd chosen, with the same bolt pattern.

So does anyone have any ideas about what model wheels will match my split-rims? The tires are 8.25 x 20 (huge!). I think they're 10-lug (not totally sure if they're 10 or 8, actually).

Owning old, big trucks is getting harder and harder. Firestone's going to stop making bias-ply tires this fall, I heard. What's a fire-truck collector to do?!? :confused:

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery