I am relatively new to the site and an owner of a 1949 GMC 250 flat / tilt bed. The truck has the original 228 engine. I am just starting on this truck and being a “newbie” thought I’d start with an engine question. The truck runs but not that well. At times (not always) it smokes excessively. A local large engine specialty shop (United Engine Specialist) has a vintage engine department that specializes in older engines. They have quoted me $1000.00 for pulling the engine and another $2800 to $5000 for complete overhaul. Having zero experience, I thought I’d ask the group about this price. I have also found other engines, like a rebuilt 248 for half what the shop is asking to rebuild mine. So my question is: am I better off keeping the existing engine and does keeping it add to the trucks value? Or, am I better off upgrading to a slightly larger engine? Also, is what I’ve been quoted for my existing engine rebuild inline with current prices?
Thank you in advance for your help. Attached are a few pics of the truck.
Attachments
BD70EAEA-91E3-44A8-9522-992770EE74A1.jpeg (516.98 KB, 127 downloads)
157D2F18-9A6F-43D5-A203-CBE65491DC9F.jpeg (412.71 KB, 127 downloads)
F3D4DA81-3466-445B-860C-B9F230BA323A.jpeg (422.55 KB, 126 downloads)
887FE343-7A3C-4354-B071-174C7AA0973D.jpeg (238.02 KB, 125 downloads)


Bart Chilcott