Normally, a clutch will start slipping in the higher gears. Lower gears require much less torque transmitted thru the clutch to get things going. Slipping in lower gears and not in the higher gears would be very unusual.
That makes sense. Road speed is like ~20 at the moment so I cant even get to the higher gears, so that lines up I suppose. I suppose when I say its most noticeable in the 1-2 shift, its because I cant even get up to speed in 3 or 4 without darn near 100% slip. The 100% slip I was experiencing in 1lo and Rlo was with a couple thousand pounds on the bed. Empty, she doesn't seem to slip until shifting into 2.
Not saying you don't have an issue with the throw-out bearing, but a worn fork will normally cause the clutch NOT to release completely while shifting gears or actually make it impossible to get into gear, especially the lower ratio gears like 1st and reverse.
If the fork is worn down where it contacts the TO brg. It should be replaced or if you are a good welder like you say, you can build it up & grind it smooth.
George
There is zero issue shifting between gears and she drops into gears beautifully. I assume that means fork is still operating properly and not worn out of spec?
The brass bushing is better then the roller brg. pilot brg.
Good to know. I assume less moving parts and no needle bearings means a stronger unit? It also begs the question, (which is a common one, but searches yield little to nothing for trucks in this weight class) is it better to stick with a B&B lever clutch for these big girls that still haul heavy? I fully understand the differences between regarding pedal pressure etc etc, but longevity wise especially for trucks grunting off-road thru windrows and fields, is it an advantage?