I pulled the rear hub off of my 1955 chevrolet 1600.. Its a canadian 2 ton with a 2spd corporate. rear diff. vacuum actuated.

Now the bearings are all good. I have new oil seals to install. All is well.

I am just a little thrown off as to just how this design is expected to create a positive seal between the inboard bearing I.D. and the spindle O.D.. In theory it should work..

Ive been told oil is only thrown out to the hubs when turning and sometimes when on a slant. That The level of the oil in the axle is not high enough to cause problems. hmmmm ??

Anyway if you look at the pictures you will see the 2 angled surfaces that are expected to seal the oil from getting between the I.D. of the bearing and the O.D. of the spindle.

Has anyone experienced oil leaking through this area and into the brake assembly area ?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this design in general ?
Attachments
IMG_20201115_194337570.jpg (183.58 KB, 175 downloads)
IMG_20201115_194411848.jpg (137.84 KB, 173 downloads)
IMG_20201115_194430412.jpg (147.71 KB, 168 downloads)
IMG_20201115_194609973.jpg (139.71 KB, 169 downloads)
IMG_20201115_194641439.jpg (176.04 KB, 167 downloads)