How you gear the 235 makes a big difference in both in-town traffic and highway driving. If you're strictly a 3 on the tree guy, then you'll have fewer options. If you're willing to change your drive train and study overall ratios carefully, the 235 can be just fine in any situation.
Great point Jon.
I would take a truck with a babbit pounder 216 if it had a T-5 transmission and a 3.73, 4.10, or larger ratio rear end over a stock truck with a stock drive train and stock 235 or a 261.
I bet I would surprise many on race day
You can gain more performance from modernizing what goes behind the stovebolt engine than anything you try to do to the engine, including increasing the cubic inches.
I know, as the late Lucky Ned Pepper once said to Rooster Cogburn,"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." (for the record, I am not that old, and I can see poorly out of both eyes).
In conclusion, all I will add is, "see you on race day."