My 69 Chev fire truck has a cable and I do not recommend it. The cable has way too much friction and even after spending a lot of time getting it as straight as possible and lubing it carefully full length, its only a little better.
From looking at Don's truck above and your pictures, I think yours is mostly correct. Like Don's, I think yours is missing a stop. The telescoping part is to allow the cab to tilt up, when it is tilted down, the linkage should bottom out telescope wise.
Make sure all the pivot pins are good, the linkage is in the right holes, nothing is bent. You may be close to working fine but missing a half inch somewhere that prevents the message from getting to the carb.
Don't go cable. I am working on a hydraulic setup but I don't know when it might be finished. I put one in a 65 Chevy Van I had, worked great. That one was made out of an import car clutch linkage and some cobbled up brackets.
Post more pictures, maybe someone will spot the problem.
I could not get your links to work here either, but they worked fine in the email notification.
Last edited by sweepleader; 11/06/2020 2:21 AM.