I would recommend lightly blasting the powder coating to roughen it. Hand sanding a wheel would probably not get at all the nooks and crannies. I assume that you're talking about NEW undamaged powder coating. If there's any rust that's started to creep underneath, you'd be better off removing the powder coating and starting from bare metal, IMO. I had a bracket that was powder coated that got a rock chip in it and started to rust, by the time I chased all the rust off, there wasn't any powder coating left. The coating peeled off pretty easily.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.