I currently have a 1946 1/2 ton AK. It has a 216 ci with a 3 speed on the floor. The motor has some scary noises and it has a bad rear main leak that I have not been able to resolve. I cannot get the truck over 45 mph without the motor breaking down. My goal is make my truck dependable and safe at a max speed of 55 mph so I can take it to shows.
I recently acquired a low mileage 235 ci from a 1957 Chevy 210(car). I have the motor mounted on a test run stand in my shop. It runs unbelievable. Good compression with no noises, no smoke, no leaks. I let it run for an hour and it maintains 180 degrees with 25 lbs oil pressure.
My plans are the replace the current 216 with this 235 but I have questions that I hope someone can help me with. First obstacle is the 235 motor from the 1957 Chevy car came with an automatic transmission. Will the fly wheel, bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, etc from the 216 work with this 235? Are the current motor mounts compatible with the 235?
If I make this swap I'd like to change the truck from 6 volt to 12 volt. Will the 12 volt starter from the 1957 car work with the fly wheel/bell housing from the 216?
Any information about what I might be up against would be greatly appreciated.