Thanks everyone for the input and for the warnings. I have been wrenching/fabricating since I was a teenager - over 40 years. I have modified the steering and suspension on several Jeeps without a single failure. I am probably more anal than most of the guys on this forum. I absolutely want power steering.

I first registered on this board 18 years ago when I inherited my 1953 3600, the Toyota box conversion seemed to be newish. I thought it was an interesting concept, so I bought a used box for $20. Today, these Toyota boxes are scarce. A used box is $250+ and a reman box is $400 - $600 if you can find one. The Toyota box conversion seems the simplest requiring the least amount of modification to the factory steering system. Unfortunately, the site search function will only allow a search of posts newer than 15 years. I did find some threads with broken links - one with a broken link for instructions from Keith Lebo. I could not find contact information for Keith Lebo. I did find an obituary for a "Keith Lebo" from Connecticut who enjoyed working on his old truck - don't know if it's the same gentleman.

I believe (maybe incorrectly) the Toyota box conversions stopped because of the scarcity/cost of the Toyota box, not because it didn't work correctly/safely. I don't really like the Saginaw box conversion outside of the frame rail design using 2 u-joints. This setup looks more sketchy than the Toyota box conversions I've seen on the web - but it's been a long time since I've seen those pics.

For comparison purposes, the stock Chevy box is 5-1/4 turns lock-to-lock with 70 degrees rotation of the sector shaft and the Toyota truck box is 4-3/4 turns lock-to-lock with 85 degrees rotation. The input shaft of both boxes are about the same diameter - the Chevy is just a few thousands larger. The sector shaft of the Toyota box is over 1/8" larger than the Chevy 3600 box. I just checked both. I have a spare Chevy steering column/box assembly.


Here's a Youtube video to a Napco Advance Design Toyota box conversion


Here's a link to a photo of said Toyota steering box.
https://www.rockauto.com/info/450/5911-a__ra_p.jpg

Last edited by 95Z28A4; 10/23/2020 3:46 PM.

1953 Chevy 3600
1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins 12 valve