Reason: Fresh rebuild with excessive oil consumption. Small to large puffs of blue smoke when starting from a stop. Worse when starting on an incline. Oil can be seen where it was running down from the exhaust ports.
Head was rebuilt by a machine shop several years ago before this rebuild. It all looked fine and wasn't on the old build long before I had to tear it all apart.
I have finished changing all of the seals and it appears that the machine shop assembled the valve and seals wrong, or as it sat on my garage floor the seals shrank enough to slide below where they were supposed to be when I started up the engine. I'm leaning towards the former. I found the seals in the middle of the stem, below the second groove. I'm gonna run it for a few tanks and see if this corrected the issue. Thank you Jerry for informing me of the correct way for the seals to be installed.
I figured why using the compressor and the valves moving was my problem. I didn't cram enough rope into the spark plug hole! I finally was getting the system down by the middle of Cylinder #3. What a pain!