My 3/4 ton has stock drum brakes with nothing more than a dual master installed. It will easily lock all 4 wheels up at 65-70mph. So yea drum brakes work fine unless mabey you ride them for miles down a mountain without engine braking. Now heres the kicker on mine...... just because the brakes can lock up at 60,70,probably 80mph dosent mean the truck will stop. Mine just locks up and keeps on truckin. People make fun of ABS but it is so effective sometimes it’s ridiculous. I had a panic stop one day in my truck that definitely opened my eyes to the fact that as confident as I am in the brakes actually made me overconfident that it would actually stop. Luckily i did more steering than braking because 4 locked tires were not doin much for me at that moment in time. Now if I had 600lbs in the bed Im pretty sure I would have been much better off stoping distance wise. Just something to think about.