In looking for an engine for my 54 project I have a family friend that has offered up a 92 Chevy 350tbi and a 700r4 tranny. I like the fact that I know this guy and know that he takes care of his vehicles. His son in law was going to use the setup in one of his projects but decided to go a different route. His son in law was not planning on using the tbi setup so he paid no attention to pulling associated wiring and what not. So it’ll be a carb setup if used. I’ve been thinking about using this setup in the 54. I wanted to see if fellow members have gone this route?
I know I’ll need a new intake and carb. A bracket for the carb for the TV cable on the 700r4. An HEI distributor, electric fan and I believe the cam has the lobe on it for a mechanical fuel pump. I think that’s most of the items needed other than a few smaller pieces. And the new mounts of course for the frame which came with the truck when I bought it.
I also have an option for a 396 out of a 69 chevelle that my cousin had machined and the lower done when he decided to buy a performance crate engine. It’d need basically all top end and looking at that Im thinking that project might be over my budget but might be a nice one to keep in mind for the future if I decide to do a full on resto on this truck.
As much as I’d love to buy a crate motor and slam that in price wise that’s just not an option at this point. I know sbc’s are very common and can be had all day long on the popular sites, Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, but most are pulled and they say “ran when pulled” but I’m not comfortable with not hearing them run and trusting a stranger. I like that the one setup I’m asking about since it’s a family friends. Any thoughts on the setup are appreciated. Thanks
Adam
Last edited by Adamg; 07/03/2020 12:48 AM.