| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (dt235sd, J Lucas),
85
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,102 Posts1,056,532 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 81 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 81 | If you kept the original bellhousing from the truck, you have the same setup I have so here is what I did. As you have probably found, no one sells a dual master or disc brake setup for the AK series trucks. I purchased the disc brake kit and dual master cylinder kit from Performance Online for a 1947 Advanced Design truck and used them on mine. The front axle is the same on both so the disc brake pieces went on following the instructions that came with the kit. I also upgraded to the roller bearing style wheel bearings at the same time. Using the original 16" wheels from the truck I needed the wheel spacer and had to grind about 1/16" off the high spot on the calipers for clearance.
On to the master cylinder which was a bit trickier. The dual circuit master is quite a bit wider than the original as is the T5 trans and the two are now competing for the same space if your using the original pedal set from your truck. I have read on this forum of others making brackets to move the master straight back to where there is clearance and extending the pushrod from the original pedals back to the new location. I recall one forum member using a Ford master which was smaller than the corvette style but don't know which one he used. I discovered all that after my alternative setup was well under way. My solution was to use the pedal set and brake linkage from a 1 1/2 ton AK series truck. On those trucks the pedals mount only to the bell housing and the master is mounted to the frame. A pushrod from the brake pedal travels rearward to a pivot assembly which reverses direction and pushes forward to the master cylinder. The Advanced Design trucks use a frame mounted master so everything I needed was in that kit. I had to disassemble the unit to reverse the direction of the master to match the linkage setup but that was simple. Drill a few holes and adjust some pushrods and your done. The hardest part was moving everything around to find the optimal position for the pivot and such. Those large deep throat vise grip clamps came in very handy for that task.
Steve
1946 1/2 ton
| | |
| |
| |