| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,431 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 24 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 24 | Comparing the price I paid for the motor and the parts that are in it I still came out ahead, even after the machining and new pistons. One thing I did learn is to check both banks of cylinders for problems not just one.
The story: Engine sat for a few years with 2000 mi on rebuild with all performace parts. Pull cylinder head...yep everything looks good I can even see the honing marks, the other side must be the same, I'll take it. Few months later...ok time to get this bad boy ready pull other head..hmm chunks missing from that piston, take it to the machine shop. Teardown...hey the ring lands on 4 of your pistons are partially missing and 3 are burnt pretty bad. Shell out $$ for new parts and machine work.
Oh well, live and learn.
'58 Apache: Camaro sub, 383 w/forced induction, 700R4 trans, 4-link w/floating 9" and un-altered sheetmetal.
| | |
| |
| |