Sometime back I converted my '38 from oil bath to dry paper air filter. My belief was, and still is, the paper filter does a better job of filtering. What I ran into yesterday evening led me to the conclusion that there's more to that equation than just better air filtration. Three times now (twice last night) the '38 succumbed to the proverbial hot hard start problem while lining up for a local parade. Once while lining up then again a bit later when I had to move to a different staging area. Considerable cranking led to a complete no fire situation. I know the points are set right, the timing is good and I had a half tank of gas. Running out of ideas I pulled the top of off the air filter to allow better air flow. Bingo, she started right up. After the second time I left the top off for the parade. I just came in from putting the oil bath insert back in the housing and oiling everything up. I've been a staunch supporter of running a paper filter because of the better filtration. However it appears another part of the equation is air flow. The paper filter doesn't have many miles on it and it's not dirty enough to change BUT it seems the restriction caused by the better filtration plays a hand in not allowing enough air flow to compensate for the rich hot start environment. If you're considering converting to a paper filter you probably need to consider air flow as well.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.