Originally Posted by Frank50
I'm more confused. Jim, the picture you posted is similar but clearly different than the pictures Tim posted. It looks like the second (rear) ball and socket, and its mounting bracket, are missing. If that's the case, I don't see how it works at all. That is, if it still has torque-tube drive.
I agree with Ed and Jerry, there has to be a seal of some kind in that threaded collar.
Some more pictures will be helpful.

FRank the difference is because up to 1954, one is the extended bed length 1/2 ton without carrier bearing and the other is a 3/4 ton truck with carrier bearing, in both instances they have a not sealed rear bearing housing on the sm420 that needs the torque tube bell/collar type assembly

Last edited by sstock; 09/21/2019 1:33 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration